The tram goes from Marina Mall towards the Al Sufouh beach area. There are a lot of nice areas to explore along the tram route and if you look at the map below, the track goes close to the water for part of the route. I saw plenty of people heading towards the beach in the area around the Westin, so it looked like there was public beach access around there.
The Marina Mall area is one of the newer and fancier parts of Dubai. While the Marina Mall itself isn't very large, there are a lot of activities originating from that area. This is one of the Dubai Ferry and water taxi stops so you can see Dubai from a water perspective. Those can take you from Dubai Marina mall all the way to Dubai Creek on the other side of town. You would pass the Palm Jumeriah, Burj Al Arab and world islands on the way, with really nice views of the skyline. There are also dinner cruises originating from the Marina Mall area; most people take these down the creek. Private hire of boats and yachts from Dubai Marina is also possible.
They also put a bike path next to the tram track, which is around 9km long. This could be a nice way to explore the city during the cooler winter months. There have already been several car accidents relating the tram (not the tram drivers fault) so beware of vehicles when crossing the road or at intersections when using the bike path. As usual, be very cautious around any road crossings.
Also be aware the government has put in place a number of different fines relating to the tram:
- Throwing waste on the tracks - Dhs500
- Crossing the tracks anywhere other than the designated areas -Dhs1,000 fine
- Unauthorised access to prohibited zones - Dhs1,000
- Interfering with or attempting to interfere with the operation of the tram or affect its safety or the safety of its infrastructure - Dhs2,000
- Unauthorised interception of the tram on the tracks - Dhs3,000
- Driving through red light without causing a crash - up to Dhs5,000 and impounding of driving licence for up to three months.
- Causing a crash leading to bodily harm - up to Dhs15,000 and impounding of driving license for up to six months.
- Causing a crash leading to death - up to Dhs30,000 and impounding of driving licence for up to a year.